Social anxiety is in all the Home Sapiens’ DNA.
Nobody can escape that! I am with you on that.
But, imagine, learning few techniques to overcome this social anxiety, and become more confident in social situations.
How would you feel? Maybe, like a Super Man, or a Wonder Woman, with new techniques to ace your next social gathering!
That’s exactly what we will learn in this short and useful article.
I learned this great technique from a book called, The Art of Mingling, written by Jeanne Martinet.
Here are those 4 techniques that you can learn now, so you can rock your next social gathering !!
Fake it till you make it! This is that age-old philosophy, but it still works like a magic charm. This is not just having a positive attitude, but the real feeling in our nerves, thoughts, hands, legs, guts, so we act confident. This is important to remember because this forms the platform on which our next techniques will work seamlessly. This is to simulate self-assurance, at least for just 10 minutes. Then an amazing thing will start to happen – you’ll actually begin to feel that way.
- The Naked Room: although I didn’t like the way it’s called, this technique is an analogy to imagine that everyone in the room (at your gathering) is with just simple clothing or shabby shy-like-clothing. Not to say that you make fun of them, but just imagine and carry the amusing smile to bring your confidence to face, and body.
- The Invisible Man: imagine you are invisible. Not seen at all and you get to walk around the room, studying everyone, the furniture, and the overall energy in the room. Nobody is looking at you, everyone is too busy worrying about themselves. This way, you get some time to get used to the situation, the surroundings, and the kind of people there is.
- The buddy system: now, how would you feel if you went to the party with your best buddy. He/she is looking and hearing everything you have to say, give you feedback, help check your dress, see if anything is stuck in your teeth, etc. This kind of safeguarding and motivating buddy, while imagining that friend is with you, makes you feel confident. Remember, not to talk loudly to that imaginary friend, though.
- Celebrity magic: be someone else until you muster the courage to speak up and mingle. Someone whose posture, personality, and charm you admire. This is the best of all these 4 techniques.
There you have it. Simple but effective tricks to bringing your confidence in any social gathering.
I admit, this blog post alone might not help to a great extent, but the book, The Art of Mingling, has loads of such ideas and clearly explained techniques you can learn.
Happy thinking! Don't forget to connect with me on Twitter.
Latest posts by The Key Ponderer (see all)
- 4 Proven Techniques to be More Comfortable at Parties - November 14, 2018
- Trust the Process - November 14, 2018
- 10 Things to do in-between Pomodoro Sessions - February 22, 2018