First, what is Pomodoro?
Pomodoro Sessions are short energy bursts of 25 minute-sessions that we can use to be productive as opposed to working non-stop for hours together.
Work for 25 minutes, then take either a short gap of 5 minutes or a long gap of 15 minutes.
Whatever the gap, I have come up with 10 ideas below on how to make use of those Pomodoro session intervals.
- No matter what, lock your computer and move away from it. The farther the better. Don’t chat with people nearby. Find someone who is seated or standing away from you.
- Use the res(e)t room, of course, if that’s the priority at the time.
- Fetch water, refill your water bottle, even if half-full, go fill it up.
- Go to the farthest window available on whichever floor you are and look out the window to remind yourself that there is a world out there waiting for you to enjoy after finishing today’s work.
- If you are the bookworm types, take your book/ebook and read 1 or 2 pages depending on your reading speed.
- Grab a cup of coffee, tea. Avoid soft drinks and alcohol while at work.
- Carry some balloons with you. If nobody is around you, blow the balloon – tie with a string or rubber band and keep it aside. Try not to burst it right away, so you can do it as a celebration when the day gets over.
- Take a step back and re-plan your day and remove all that’s unnecessary until the vital tasks remain. this doesn’t mean procrastination – removing means removing, literally.
- Try to go for a walk. Make it quick – come back before the 15 minutes (long break) gets over. If you want to go for a short walk (mark 5 mins), do so and get back before the next Pomodoro session begins. Don’t bother counting your steps – also stay away from mobile apps. Watch and enjoy nature, trees, birds, sky – you know better.
- Call Mom, or Dad, or Sister, or Brother, or a long lost friend, or your teacher (to thank) or if none, call your “self” (meditate).
Bonus: doodle some random character on a paper using a pencil. No, not on MS Paint or any Web App. Remember, we have to stay away from our computer during these intervals!